Monday 13 April 2015

Six



About 3 weeks ago I took P5 and failed it.

I'm not mentioning that for an attempt at sympathy. I took the news with a dignity that I'm proud of and promised to return in October to do it all again.

Problem is...October seems soooo far away right now.

I mean, I have a holiday for a whole MONTH in Crete between now and then. To be precise, from June to July. And THAT seems far away too. October will be when the warm weather we are only just now starting to enjoy, is going to be on its way out and Autumn in all its nauseating shades of orange is cosying up to introduce its bigger brother Winter.

From P1 to P5 I have noticed just how fast time flew between the gradings. Main reason being that I have a thing called a "life" that gets between a twice yearly visit to London or Bristol.

In the run up to my P5 test, I had the following "regime".

1. Yoga at least twice a week.
2. Krav at least twice a week.
3. Cardio based workout (tailored for me by a personal trainer at my gym) 2 or 3 times a week.
4. Watching the P5 DVD on my TV at home and copying the moves (except the break falls or rolls).

I did this for about 5 weeks. Determined to go in as prepared as possible. The examiner told me after that what let me down was my P4 stuff (which I hadn't revised). So, back to the revision with some P4 stuff (and in case they pull a flanking manoeuvre at the next grading, P2 and P3 as well).

Thing is....

I have been attending the gym for the cardio stuff BUT I'm going a maximum of twice a week to do that. I go to Krav once a week and I haven't looked at the P5 DVD since I got back.

While I have hardly become slothful, that exuberance and lust for the 5th bar on the patch has now had the volume turned down somewhat.

It is very hard to maintain that kind of momentum, especially half a year away from a retake. I don't even think it's necessary to keep the same fitness levels sustained BUT I also know that I need to keep on top of things.

Jon Bullock and a lot of examiners and instructors I've met over the 3 years I've been with KMG had said that the worst thing you can do is rest on your laurels and become lazy after passing a grading. Like any skill set, Krav techniques need to be practiced to be kept fresh.

October is now 3 weeks nearer than it was when I took that grading.

I shall maintain a healthy balance between now and then.


Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say....